General information about our residency program
Project Art residencies are intended to provide a place and support for emerging and professional contemporary artists, writers, curators, or critics wishing to complete a specific project.
We welcome applications on an ongoing basis and length of residency is determined individually.
• International artists working in ceramics with an upcoming US exhibition are encouraged to apply so they might produce works in the US and avoid costly international shipping.
• Resident artists share a group studio.
Project Art only provides studio space. Housing, food, supplies, materials, and kiln firings are not included. A public presentation of completed artwork or project is required at conclusion of residency. The studio is not generally open to the public but there are periodic public events, tours, and visiting professionals.
Supplies can be purchased in advance and delivered. There is a hardware and general store within walking distance.
Transportation to and from the airport can be arranged. While a car is highly recommended for a short-term residency it is possible to exist without one.
For artists working in ceramics, electric firings and spray booth are available on site. Electric firings are charged on a per firing basis. There are several wood kilns in nearby studios that are potentially available to residents – a list can be provided but all arrangements are the responsibility of the artists.
Lodging is not available onsite. Click HERE for information on area lodgings.
All applications are reviewed by Project Art director, Leslie Ferrin, along with current studio artists. Artists are selected on the basis of the quality of work, ability to produce work in a group setting, and potential for positive interaction with the professional arts community in the Berkshires, Pioneer Valley, and Hilltowns of Western Massachusetts.
The application package must include the following items. Incomplete packages will not be considered.
1. Completed application form. Click HERE for the Project Art Residency Application Form.
2. $15 non-refundable application fee – payable by check or money order made payable to Project Art.
3. Ten images of recent work in jpeg format on a CD or USB. Images must be at least 72 dpi. Do not submit images embedded in a program such as PowerPoint or as a pdf file.
4. Image list stating title, media, and size corresponding to the image file names.
5. Biographical sketch (100 words maximum).
6. Artist statement (500 words maximum).
7. Curriculum vitae.
8. Two references with names and contact information.
9. Residency proposal letter stating your intended course of exploration during your residency, space requirements, and desired time frame (500 word maximum).
Please send all documents as digital files on a CD as well as hard copies.
Applications may be mailed to PROJECT ART 54 Main Street Cummington, MA 01026
If you would like your materials returned, please provide a SASE.
For information about payment, click here.
CURRENT ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE
Ceramic sculptor, co-founder of Project Art
Ceramic sculptor, full time resident artist since 2010
Ongoing short-term resident artist since 2013
PAST ARTISTS IN RESIDENCE
Forrest Lesch-Middleton Michael McCarthy